Monday, January 17, 2011

Magazine Inspiration

I subscribe to a few home magazines and I must say I'm pretty addicted to them! I loove flipping through the pages of these magazines and catching glimpses of beautiful homes and decorating ideas! Every now and then I try some of the crafty ideas myself...sometimes they turn out not so good but sometimes I'm glad I tried! Here are 2 of the idea's I've tried lately.

I've always had a love for old mason jars. I remember being a kid, finding some in my grandmothers basement and using them to hold hydrengea's (my favorite flower ever!) from her yard. I still collect them. I use them as candy jars, to hold sea shells, wine bottle corks and etc. A few months back I saw the cutest idea of turning a mason jar into a soap dispenser. I looved the idea and made one instantly. All I did was get my Husband to put a pocket knife through the top of the lid and I used the pump from an old dispenser that I haven't used in a while and BAM! I've got one cute dispenser that I love to look at and use everyday! Thanks Better Homes & Garden =))

Here's an idea I found in Country Living. I took major shortcuts here but it suites me and I'm pretty happy with it. Keep in mind, this isn't my "final result". This is just a first try that I did with a piece of computer paper, a pencil and a black fabric marker! Next time I will use a thin piece of fabric, and black paint.



The basic idea was to "trace" a photo and this lady actually stitched what she traced into the fabric and framed it for a beautiful piece of art! I have no idea to sew but I loved the idea so I figured I'd trace a picture that I love. All I did for this was tape my pic to the back door window with the light shining through, and traced! When I was finished I used a black fabric marker and gave it the stiched effect by drawing black dotted lines.


Here's the photo I chose. I'm absolutely in love with this picture of my son. He was about 11 months old, playing out in the front yard of our old home. This was just a couple of weeks before he learned to walk.

Here's is my tracing job! Some of the details I couldn't see, like his little foot back there, so I didn't even attempt it!

Here is what it looks like with the matting and frame. Once I do a final one, I will use a white frame and white matitng like they did in the magazine. It's just so simple & pretty that way.

So there's a few of my attempts! Now I'm off to finish painting my hallway which I started weeks ago! Hope everyone has a great week!

6 comments:

Catherine Holman said...

Great ideas! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment. Thanks to your husband for serving our country!
Catherine

Enjoying this beautiful life we've created said...

Thank you so much! I will be sure to tell my Husband thank you =)

Liz Marie said...

Looove the Mason Jar dispenser! I want to make one.. I'm glad someone likes mason jars as much as me :) haha xx Liz Marie

Enjoying this beautiful life we've created said...

Thank you Liz! Yes, I looove them too! This thing was so easy to make!! The hardest part was finding a jar with a lid, lol.

jacin {lovely little details} said...

love the mason jar dispenser!! i am slightly obsessed with them!!

lovely little details {blog}

Enjoying this beautiful life we've created said...

I'm slightly obsessed too jacin!! Thanks =)